Written by Tormentor667 on
After the repository has been inactive for the past few weeks, I decided to give it another shot myself and with the help of Gothic (thanks for staying part of the team) and hopefully some other supporters, we plan to keep it online and maintained in the future as promised already, to serve as a central source for content to spice up your mods and maps, and as place for artists to share and showcase their work. As I've said before on various occasions: The Realm667 is a community place - and this shouldn't interfer with personal events of the past.
So where do we start?
First of all the site has been restructured, obsolete content has been removed, historical items have been sorted and the menus have been simplified so it's easier for people to find what they need. It's even more community oriented now and less focused on work by me (still, the projects area will be kept as is).
When it comes to the repository, the submission rules have been finally loosened. You are now encouraged to finally submit models to the resources. Trees, spaceships, cars - everything is possible now without the 8-dir-restriction for content. On top of that, you can use ZScript and ACS next to the original DECORATE format. On the other hand, the wad format won't be accepted anymore, instead please use a well sorted directory-format pk3. Also, to make our job as repository maintainers easier, please add a preview image to your submission if needed (e.g. SFX, Beastiary, Item, etc) in the same format as we already use it on the page (png, 250x140 pixels, isolated and transparent, if it is a model or a sprite) - chances are higher that your submission gets added instantly as it saves us a lot of work.
More changes will come in the near future, but if there are any suggestions, please let us know. And until then, we are looking forward to your submissions, your feedback and your support. Stay tuned and keep doomin'.
Written by RambOrc on
High resolution HUD
- The HUD is now rendered in 1920x1200 instead of the legacy 640x480. Besides the improved visuals, the higher resolution also allows for more information to be displayed in the same space
- A new HUD options menu has been added, allowing customization of over a dozen different display aspects
- The HUD now has three different modes: classic (Hexen style status bar), compact (a minimalistic set of icons in the lower right corner), and none. These modes are independent of the screen size setting and you can toggle between them using the HUD options menu
- The class abilities (martial skills/prayers/cantrips) are now stored in a scroll that can be unrolled to pick the active ability
- When RPG Complexity is Off, the status bar mode replaces the nonfunctional weight, hunger and fatigue counters with a panel showing the current values of all six ability scores
- The conversation screen now uses more screen estate if the HUD mode is set to compact or none
- For the more technically minded: the numeric counter function has been completely rewritten, allowing the rendering of numbers in four different sizes, up to nine different colors, optionally as percentages, with custom vertical alignment (left/right/centered) and a built-in protection against overflow (large numbers are truncated, e.g. 105000 becomes 105k)
More details can be read below.
Written by Tormentor667 on
Since the release of v3.1 of "Blade of Agony" we have received numerous messages, comments and emails. Besides positive messages and words of support, we have also received a lot of opposition and disappointment.
"You have given up", "You have given in to the shitstorm", "You have lost my respect".
After more than 6 years of working on a project of the heart, these words of course hurt and disappoint us very much and after we had answered some of the comments on ModDB and by email, we now feel that an official statement is necessary to gain understanding and shed light on the matter.
The changes and mitigations we have implemented for version 3.1 do not stem from cowardice we have shown towards some users of the Doom community. Blade of Agony is a creative, free and artistic interpretation within the Wolfenstein universe. And as long as we are unpaid developers working on such a project in our spare time, it must be ensured that we realise our vision as we see fit. This is exactly the motto we have been working by for the last 6 years, releasing the last 3 chapters. So why the adjustments to v3.0 now?
As some of you know, the team around "Blade of Agony" consists of a colourful bunch from all over the world, including Israel and Germany. Wolfenstein 3D and swastikas have long been banned and punished in Germany in the field of entertainment. Since 2018, these laws have been defused, but games of this kind are still under the strictest observation by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (FOftPotC).
Although we as developers strictly condemn any form of discrimination, racial hostility, anti-Semitism and glorification of the Second World War, there were concerns on the part of various German gaming sites and news sources about whether we had not crossed a line with some content (including the depiction of a concentration camp, the explicit mention of affected population groups or the World's Fair in Paris with historical anti-Semitic content). From that point on, it was clear to us that we would have to reconsider the content in order to weigh up possible personal damage (for example a punishment from the FOftPotC if they deem the game unacceptable) from all the developers of the project concerned.
The Second World War was the most horrific conflict in our history, and we as a development team do not want to ignore, censor or even deny these atrocities. However, we have asked ourselves what position we are in as entertainers. Wolfenstein is and always has been a fictional scenario, so we have no duty to educate the people who play our game. We want to tell an exciting story. So our yardstick in defusing the game was "What content is necessary to achieve that and what content can we do without?"
Blade of Agony has been released in several versions before and as we changed, removed and added content from version 1.0 to 2.0 based on experience gained and advice received, this is an organic process that has now also taken place between 3.0 and 3.1.
While we can understand some of the disappointment, we hope players will understand why some changes had to be made and why we can no longer officially support v3.0, and ask that you do not share public links on our ModDB page. Of course, we have no influence on what happens in the private area.
We hope that you continue to have as much fun with Blade of Agony as we had during its development and we still wish you a good time.
and the entire Blade of Agony development team
Written by Tormentor667 on
Comerades, it's Friday 9th of July and we hope you are ready to get psyched once again! The new version 3.1 of Blade of Agony has just been unleashed on ModDB's project page. So what can be expected? Is it all censored? Are swastikas gone and are Nazis only generic soldier cannon fodder? People expected the worse, but we can promise you there is no need to fear radical changes.
New features in v3.1
- New launcher (written from the ground, with additional options)
- Addons (a total of 12 gameplay mutators, featuring interesting replay-possibilities, loadable with the launcher)
- Ultra-Widescreen support (for 21:9 screens)
- New damage and powerup screen indicators (including indicators for grenades, damage direction, damage types, powerup cooldowns)
- Completely revamped fullscreen hud (powered by a new widget system, with transparent backgrounds)
- New additional boss battles and enemies
- Achievements system (total of 34, achievement board in the briefing room)
- Performance improvements (higher fps rates on weaker machines)
- Improvements to make the player-placed mines more useful
- Sprite improvements (additonal rotational sprites for 1-directional enemies, hires sprites for numerous lowres variants)
- Options menu simplification (making it more accessable to people outside the GZDoom community)
- Includes latest stable GZDoom 4.6
- Countless bugfixes, adjustments and improvements (over 400 Github commits)
- Replacement and improval of edgy and sensitive content (e.g. removal of historical references towards the Holocaust, character renaming, content replacement)
So what does the latter point mean? After feedback from the players all around the world, we took a closer look at some of the design-choices that we made and asked ourselves if some of the content, that has been considered to be "edgy" contributes to the story and the atmosphere, or actually doesn't. We have made some minor choices and even though some people believe that we went too far or "bent the knee", we think that our vision is still intact without these nuances and we really hope that you will enjoy the new version with all the additions we made.
Enjoy, and get psyched (you know how that works!)
Tormentor667 and the Blade of Agony Team